Saturday, May 16, 2009

(12) On writing for NZJES

I am struggling with writing, but more optimistic than ever before.

The context: We are right at the end of the RULT project and I have care of the article for NZJES. We are using an innovative approach to writing where ideas have been assembled by Elizabeth, based on writing from the project, including an early draft from Lindsey and me, conversations with two of the staff, and a couple of planning sessions where the shape of the article was mapped out.

In the last 10 days the draft article has been out for consultation and I have just incorporate suggestions into the main article. It is now 8500 words and needs to be 5000. So ... major cutting is needed.

And the cutting, therefore needs to be on a conceptual level. I need to rethink the article so that I can ensure that what is retained is the central message of the article and to realise that other important material will need to be cut.

So, shall try talking to you, my blog, about all this - what goes and what stays, and what important stuff might be lost in the process - (but really, what is important in all of this? - don't fuss too much - just write a good article that tells exactly one story and not too much else.) Mmmm - so the blog can talk back to me ... in italics - that's nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment